Saturday, January 14, 2006

Ripped off

A stereotype common in Southern Europe (and maybe elsewhere) is that Italians tend not to be trustworthy, and try to rip off others as much as possible, while Northern Europeans tend to be more honest. In the past I was convinced it was true to some extent, now I am not. The responsible for this is a bicycle repairer.

Some days ago, when I took my bicycle to come back home from work (and the Friday night beer with colleagues), I realised the rear tyre was flat. The following weekend was sunny and perfect for going around by bicycle... So, I went to the repairer closest to home, but it was closed (the sign said 18:00, but there was nobody at 17:50). By chance I found another one, open, and I brought my bike there.
One day (and 6,50 €) after, the tyre was inflated, but not at high pressure. I inflated it myself at home. I inflated myself again the morning after, and I went to work. Guess what? After work, the tyre was flat again. There can be an explanation, maybe something in the wheel caused another hole, but I tend to think that the repairer just inflated the wheel without repairing it.
So, after marking that repairer as not worth coming back, I decided to do that myself. It is much more difficult than expected. I even phoned my father in Italy to ask for advice. Eventually I disassembled the wheel and fixed the hole in the inner tube. Then, today, I spent almost the whole morning putting the wheel into place. After lots of swearing, dirty hands, and a kind neighbour who helped me invaluably, the wheel was in place, but not perfectly straight, and one piece of the brake was missing. So I did what I should have done in the first place: go to the repairer closest to home. What will come out? Only time will tell.

No comments: