Thursday, January 25, 2007

Weather storm

It's a beautiful song by Massive Attack. But it's also what everyone in Amsterdam (and in the whole Northern Europe) experienced exactly one week ago, last Thursday.

In the morning it rained, so I left my bike and took the tram. It would turn out to be one of the wisest decisions in my life. I noticed that something was wrong: Dutch people were using umbrellas. Dutch people are waterproof, they normally walk and bike under the rain as if nothing was happening. And my umbrella flipped 5 or 6 times because of the wind in the short time from exiting from home to entering the tram.

But the worst had yet to come. The wind got stronger and stronger, rain didn't stop, the noise coming from the (closed) windows was scarier and scarier. Luckily I brought something for lunch, so I didn't have to go out to get it, and that was also very wise.

Later in the afternoon, we had the first news that some Christmas light decorations fell on the tram's aerial cables, very close to the office. It was dangerous to use that street, and the trams were detoured.

Train traffic was severely disrupted, bad news from commuters. Web sites kept saying that there were some trains running, maybe leaving from stations further away. Then, police ordered that all trains stopped. It was the hell for commuters and travelling people in general. A colleague, desperate because there was no way for him to come home near The Hague, begged me for a place to spend the night. So I ended up letting him sleep in my living room. And he can consider himself lucky: in Amsterdam and Utrecht, exhibition centers were turned into refugee camps, in order to let stranded people sleep under a roof. The media said that about 200.000 people in Holland could not spend the night at their home.

The day after was extraordinarily clear and sunny.

No comments: