Wednesday, June 20, 2007

A mistake everyone makes, at some point

Last Sunday I made a mistake. I went to Ikea in Haarlem to buy a piece of furniture.

As this was not enough, I went there without a car. I thought: "There is a railway station there, I just have to walk through the parking lot to the station". I did not think that the object weighed 21 or 23 kg (different signs in different parts of the shop said different things), and that's a lot to carry, even for a few metres. I struggled to the train, I was helped by four kind ladies to put the object in the train, and out of it at the arrival, then I was helped by two girls carry it from the platform to the station's main hall (the two girls missed their train because of this). I was helped by a station worker who collected something I lost and gave it back to me. I went to the bus station outside and it started raining. I thought "Not bad, the box will protect it". The box, being made of cardboard, nearly dissolved when wet: every attempt at moving the box caused a hole in it, and consequent falling off of the content. In the bus, I was helped by a boy who happened to have a roll of sticky tape, and donated it to me. With the sticky tape, it was barely possible to keep the box together in the last metres of my way home.

That was the closest thing to a Mr.Bean sketch that happened to me.

On a different story, yesterday I met my neighbour for the first time. After more than three months, that's a record. She's been very kind, anyway.

1 comment:

prostata said...

You're "lucky"... I don't remember some of my neighbours faces after years...