Monday, October 08, 2007

The land of origin

In less than 2 weeks I'll be in Sardinia, to attend to the marriage of my cousin.

The relationship between each person and his/her land of origin is peculiar. There is a sense of affection and pride, which goes beyond reason and causes.

This relationship is even more difficult to tell for people who left their land of origin early. When I'm in Sardinia, I am a stranger. I left it too early. I know no one. I don't know the places, the habits, the dialect. And, yet, I feel at home. And I ask myself: why shouldn't I stay here? Why did I ever leave? And, at the same time, I would probably be uncomfortable if I came back there to stay.

My cousin and her two brothers have been so important to me. One summer, my mother and my brother were in the hospital, having been run over by a car. I spent that summer with my uncle, my aunt and my cousins. And I always felt part of the family. I never felt any difference between the three siblings and me. Nowadays, I visit my cousins whenever I can. My uncle passed away in April this year. He once said that I was his fourth child.

My friend Massimo gets married the same day. Also in Sardinia. There has been tension between us at times, but he is a real friend. He puts commitment in whatever he does, playing fantasy league and helping homeless people. And he once told me that he first got in touch with HTML because he saw me fiddling with it. I am an HTML rookie and he is the webmaster of several sites.

No comments: